Important Safety Considerations for Reopening
Good news! Both our Diocese and the State of California have given us the permission to reopen our church and resume our Masses. However, in order to do this, we must implement and follow certain rules to ensure the safety of our eucharistic gatherings and help stop the coronavirus contagion.
Daily weekday Masses resumed on Monday, June 8 at 8 am in our outdoor worship space. The following measures must be taken to make sure our acts of worship are safe:
- Wear Face Masks at all times while on church grounds, except to receive Communion.
- Bring your own chair.
- Hand sanitizer should be used before leaving your vehicle or as you enter the worship space.
- Physical distancing of six feet between each person will be enforced.
- Masses will be shorter, with no second reading and short homilies.
- Communion by bread only will be distributed after the final blessing. Please fully extend your left hand, flat with right hand underneath, so that the Eucharist Minister can give you the Host without contact.
- Leave Worship Space promptly after receiving Communion and a short prayer of Thanksgiving.
Saturday Vigil and Sunday Masses have resumed and will be held in our outdoor worship space. We will celebrate weekend Masses on Saturdays at 5:000 pm and Sundays at 8:30 am.
For those unable or who choose not to attend Sunday Mass the 5:00pm Saturday Mass will be streamed live through guardianangelssantee.org and posted also on our Guardian Angels Catholic Church YouTube page.
For weekend Masses, the following measures must be undertaken for the safety of everyone:
- Parishioners must bring own chairs when coming to Mass and must stay in marked spaces. We recommend you bring a hat in case the sun is bright.
- Wear Face Masks at all times while on parish grounds, except briefly while receiving Communion.
- Physical distancing of six feet between each person will be enforced
- Please use hand sanitizer before leaving your vehicle and when you touch anything within the church premises
- Masses will be as short as possible; singing by the congregation is now allowed outdoors only. The Sign of Peace and holding of hands during the Lord’s Prayer are suspended.
- Thank you for your love offerings; they are essential to the parish. Please drop them in the donation boxes at the entrance to the outdoor worship space or in front of the altar. Ushers will come around with collection boxes. The safest way to send your contributions is
via online giving through: guardianangelssantee.weshareonline.org.
- Communion will be distributed at the end of Masses as Bread and received only on the hand. Please fully extend your left hand, flat with your right hand underneath, so that the Eucharistic Minister can place the Host on your hand without contact.
- During Masses outdoors, a minister will bring Holy Communion to you at your designated spot. You may stay and pray for a few moments after Communion, before leaving the worship space.
On Sundays or holy days of obligation with inclement weather, Mass will be livestreamed. Please make sure we have your email address or cell phone numbers so that you would receive updated information and other announcements (through our new system Flocknotes).
The general dispensation from attending Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation remains in force. We ask specifically those considered vulnerable or immunocompromised (65+ years old, chronically sick, with serious underlying illness such as diabetes or respiratory and immunodeficiency conditions) to stay home. Likewise, anyone with flu-like symptoms or exposed to another of the same health problems must not attend Mass or enter the church. You may watch our livestreamed or online Masses if unable to come to church.
If you are coming to church, whether in your car or on foot, please enter through Dalehurst Road. Please be guided by the attached maps showing entry and movement in the designated areas of worship.
Individual confessions will be at 3:00-4:00 PM on Saturdays, observing physical distancing. Facial masks must be worn at all times. Confessions should be brief, direct to the point and cover only those sins committed after the last reconciliation.
Infant baptisms may now resume. Weddings may also be scheduled. Call Patti at the parish office to receive guidance on initial interviews, necessary paperwork, procedures for preparation etc. Please contact Tammy and/or Ayla for updates on our parish Youth Ministry and Religious Education programs. Celebration of Funerals may now also resume. Homebound Communion can only be given by an adult living in the same household.
Many of our liturgical volunteers are considered vulnerable because of age. It will be an act of charity to help relieve them from their ministry and avoid being afflicted by Covid-19. To continue with our liturgical celebrations, We need young parishioners to step up to become ushers, lectors and eucharistic ministers. Please call Patti at the parish office. We will train you.
We thank you for your patience and love during this time of crisis. We look forward to celebrating the Eucharist together again soon!
Yours truly in service of our parish,
Father André RamosPastor